Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Anti Abortion Gang Blog, Recently Reviewed by College Students

I was delighted to find a group of college students analyzing this blog.  The introduction was:
The blog we have chosen is called the Anti-Abortion Gang and can be found at http://theantiabortiongang.blogspot.com/.  The blog’s goal is to show people what is really going on inside the minds of pro-aborts. The blogger expresses his or her opinion and beliefs about others’ tweets, blogs and other articles referring to abortion. The blogger prides herself/himself on having a blog where others can refute and argue, which many pro-abortion blogs don’t allow. This blog uses fear in the headlines of the blogs as well as their content. This blogger wants to scare you into believing abortion is horrible and the wrong thing to do. (emphasis is mine)
Since I personally don't find the posts here as fear mongering, I dug a little deeper to see what they were studying.  It wasn't abortion.  As I looked further into their blog, I found that they are studying how fear is used in blogs, videos, etc. Hence, the title of the blog "The Rhetoric of Fear".

While I was disappointed that the intro seemed to be biased, I was delighted at several of the comments regarding abortion, including this one:
The background colors symbolize the life that is destroyed through abortions. The red color can be interpreted as blood; the result of the slaughtering done through abortions. These lively colors help the antiabortion article to symbolize the life they are fighting to protect. 
I found most students were hung up on the color patterns of the blog. Here are a few more.
the background is pink, white and yellow. It gives the appearance of an animal cell that has been placed on a microscopic slide and magnified
The blog's interface sports a watercolor of red and orange patterns that can possibly resemble body tissue, cell groupings, blood or some sort of biological image
The background consists of light red and orange, the exact color of blood that has been exposed to the air for a time period.
There are more comments regarding the color scheme, I just copied over a few for a quick read.  I was intrigued at how much the students over-analyzed (IMO) the theme.  But I suppose that is what they are being taught?  In truth, the reason I chose this theme  is 1. because it's free, and 2. because the background and colors reminded me of bloody gauze.  Simple isn't it?

The students had several numbered options of what type of analysis they are choosing.  I found most stopped at #1, which is the colors etc.  So while I thought the 1 was a good grade, alas, it's just a code.  Perhaps I was over-analysing as well?

To the students, I'd like to thank you for your time, your analysis, and wish you the very best in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment