Sunday, September 18, 2011

Politically Correct Pro-Choicer's Admit They Are Pro-Life Personally

I took a trip back to Feminists For Choice, and I'm glad I did.  The article gave me renewed hope.  
Serena asked the question "Can you be pro-choice if you wouldn’t choose abortion for yourself?" She then broke down the questions as follows.
1. What does is mean to be pro-choice?
2. If you found out that you were pregnant, and you didn’t intend to be, would you continue the pregnancy, or would you choose to have an abortion?
3. Do you believe that you can personally oppose abortion and still call yourself “pro-choice”?
The question I found enlightening and hopeful, was question # 2. Here are highlights from a few of the comments:
“When I was younger I would have definitely considered it but I don’t know if I would have ever been able to go through with it. At this point in my life because I am in a committed long term relationship I would not consider abortion because I don’t think that I could live with the guilt."
“I would consider one but I cannot see myself taking this option. I have friends and family who have had abortions and who sometimes struggle to come to turns with that decision, I know that it is unlikely that I ever would."
“If I found out I was pregnant, I wouldn’t consider abortion because I’m in a position where I would actually be pleased. However, I don’t feel that I ever would have considered it."
"I once thought that I may consider abortion if I had been assaulted but having had a child now I don’t think I would be able to. Hopefully I will never find out.”
"So yes, I would consider abortion for an unplanned pregnancy but I am fairly confident that I would not be able to actually go through with it. I have felt physical pain and deep depression every time I have considered terminating, for me the emotional suffering was more significant than the physical/emotional/financial burden of continuing the pregnancy.”
The comments are much more in depth than I've posted here.  Remember, the article was targeted for women who claim to be pro-choice politically and pro-life only personally.  For that reason, I found question # 2 a sort of miss-fit, yet intriguing as well.
 
If a woman could never consider aborting her own baby, maybe she'll see through what's 'politically correct', and do what's morally correct by helping other women keep their babies.  You can put your time and effort into protecting a woman's right to 'choose', or you can put that same time and effort into helping women keep their babies.  It's really that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment